Thursday, July 12, 2007

Russian Caravan – Fruity from Dragonwater

Scent in package: fruity and sweet tea scent
Brewed in: unbleached filter bag
Steeped: 5 min.@ 212 degrees
Cup: Café Mug at work

When I read the description of this tea, it really sounded like a lovely blend. Assam, Keemun, Lapsang Souchong, and Lychee (which I’d never tried, but always been curious about). I love Assam, I love Lapsang, so I figured I should probably try it. And I’ve not been disappointed in the least.

There’s nothing to miss without photos – the tea looks like any other boring black tea blend, made of smaller leaves of various dried shapes. The brew is a dark red-brown, but still completely translucent – very beautiful, and would be lovely in a glass teapot or delicate porcelain cup.

The scent is very fruity, but not overpowering to the tea blends. A very light and refreshing smell, foretelling the sweet taste to follow. There’s not much scent as it’s brewing, though a hint of the lychee fruit stands out, but the tea itself is perfectly balanced and smooth in the mouth. The slightly tart fruit taste just melts into the malty assam, and it’s all set off by the sweet smoothness characteristic of a good Lapsang (without being smoky at all).

I couldn’t really make out the Keemun in it, but that’s probably more because I’m not in the habit of drinking Keemun plain, so it would be harder for me to recognize that particular flavor.

In any case, this tea is one I could drink all day without getting bored with it, and I do plan on ordering a larger size eventually. It’s $6.00 for a quarter pound, so a pretty good deal for such a lovely blend, in my opinion. Give it a try – a great morning cup, and a good wake up call in the afternoon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not for advertising - links in comments will be deleted. Please be polite!