Wednesday, December 19, 2007

White Rose from Teas, Etc

Scent in package: lovely “wild roses”
Brewed in: glass teapot/glass infuser
Steeped: 5 min. @ 185 or so
Cup: Porcelain teacup

I got this sample in my recent order from Teas, Etc., and couldn’t wait to try it. I love black rose tea, or any tea scented with roses, so I figured this one had to be good as well. Needless to say, I wasn’t disappointed.

The dry leaves and rose buds are simply beautiful together, the tea clearly being of high quality with some full leaves present. The scent made my mouth water, and I couldn’t wait for the water to heat up. I poured, and that lovely sweet floral fragrance just intensified, filling the whole kitchen. This tea brews up darker than many white teas, to a lovely golden yellow color as you can see.
The taste is wonderful. The tea taste is very light, of course, and easily missed if you’re not thinking about it. The rose flavor is what really shines, sweet and decadent. It made me think of garden parties, ladies in lacy hats and gloves, and coolness on a hot summer day when the scent of a wild rose bush can waft through the yard on a light breeze. It was slightly drying, as many white teas are, but not unpleasantly so, and I was quite disappointed when the cup was empty.

Unfortunately, it was time for bed then…and the tea was so relaxing that I had no trouble laying down and falling right to sleep. I put the extra half-glass of tea in the fridge, and plan on drinking it cold this evening, and I think it will be quite lovely and refreshing over ice, possibly even sweeter.

The wet leaves were beautiful and vibrant, the rose buds open and very beautiful against the pale green spent leaves of the tea.
I’ve now tried black, green and white teas scented with roses, and honestly, I’ve loved every one of them. This one is definitely a keeper – if you like floral teas, try this one. You won’t regret it.

2 comments:

  1. You placed an interesting tea order.

    A friend prepared a tea mix of rose petals and black loose leaf. The rose petals mellowed the astringent black leaf and gave a sweet, slightly spicy citrus note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the order was just for Black Rose tea (for a gift), and a gaiwan (also a gift). Teas, Etc. is one of the best companies around for including free samples with your order. :-)

    Sounds like a lovely blend made by your friend!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not for advertising - links in comments will be deleted. Please be polite!