Thursday, May 7, 2009

Masala Chai from Teavana

Scent in package: strong & spicy, with cinnamon and cardamom
Ratio: 1 ½ tsp to 10oz water
Steeped: 5 min. @ boiling

I love chai – the stronger the better. I’ve been on the lookout for awhile now for a strong, spicy tea that can still maintain its boldness when faced with the obligatory milk and sugar. This comes close, but it could be stronger yet.

Granted, I brewed this in a typically lazy style, but who has time to steep tea for hours before work in the morning? In my opinion, a good chai blend needs to be able to deliver a strong “wake-up” message with little time investment, at least here in the states.

All that said, I do really enjoy this blend. It’s spicy, with a nice peppery aftertaste. The tea itself is bold, and doesn’t let the spices completely cover the “tea” flavor. Cinnamon & cardamom are enhanced with sugar and everything is smoothed over and blended nicely with just a hint of milk. A delicious cup that would be a good start for the average tea drinker trying chai for the first time.

2 comments:

  1. I agree; I like a strong masala chai. Have attempted to make my own but my friend S from Bangladesh makes a great cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderfully flavorful tea! I enjoyed it very, very much1 I think I might have a new favorite. The subtle spices are very comforting. A great early morning tea!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not for advertising - links in comments will be deleted. Please be polite!