Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Organic Lemongrass Black from Rishi Teas

Scent in package: very “lemon-y”
Brewed in: unbleached filter bags
Steeped: 5 min@boiling
Cup: Café mug

I’ve delayed posting this review thinking that I’d get pictures of this particular blend for you. That does not seem meant to be, so you’ll have to just imagine a very beautiful blend of thick blades of lemongrass mingling with longish twists of black tea leaves. It’s almost a 50/50 mix, and very pleasing to the eye, though I’ll admit I wondered if the lemongrass would overpower the tea – especially since lemon is basically the only thing you smell when you stick your nose in both the package and the cup.

I’ve never been a huge fan of fresh lemon in my tea – it seems to add a sour note that doesn’t really accentuate the tea taste as much as I’d like it to if I don’t add sugar as well (which I rarely do). But this blend seemed interesting, so I thought I’d give it a try, at least. And I admit that I was surprised at how good the tea is…not sour at all, but rather sweet and lemony.

Unfortunately, I think there’s too much lemongrass in this mix…not because it’s not fabulous tasting, but because I can’t taste anything else. I think the tea probably gives a very nice base to what would otherwise indeed be a sour herbal tisane, but I really can’t distinguish much of a tea taste underneath all that yummy lemon – it is there, I guess, but so subtly that I can’t even tell what kind of “black tea” it is (which is good, if it’s a Ceylon tea, I guess).

All that said, I have to admit, I like this as a beverage very much. I think it would be excellent cold as well, but even warm I find myself taking big gulps of it rather than my normal sips. It’s slightly drying in the mouth, but more like a mint than anything else.

It’s a bit pricy at $4 for 1 oz., but like I said, very enjoyable. In this case, I think the expense is more for the “fair trade” and “organic” labels than anything else, which you can decide for yourself if you’re willing to pay for (so many of these labels mean very little, or something completely different than we are led to believe – it’s worth some serious research before you decide to make it a “personal crusade” or not). I know that I will be trying to find other sources for lemongrass black teas as well, to compare and contrast in both taste and price for myself, but I’ll be seriously tempted to buy more of this when my ounce runs out.

It’s very good – I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. I would agree with you...I just did a trial on it but I used their iced tea blend and made iced tea...very strong lemongrass flavor

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not for advertising - links in comments will be deleted. Please be polite!