Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lemon Lavender Organic from Teas, Etc

Scent in package: very “clean” – a mixture of lemon and lavender
Brewed in: unbleached filter bag
Steeped: 4 min.@ boiling
Cup: café mug

I wish I’d remembered to take this tea home last night for a picture session. There’s nothing remarkable about the appearance of the brew, or the wet leaves, but the dry mix is a very interesting blend of medium size Indian black tea leaves, small lavender buds, and small bits of lemon myrtle leaves (I assume they’re lemon myrtle – because they don’t look like lemongrass, which is the only other thing in this blend). I wouldn’t say it’s “beautiful” exactly, just interesting with the different colors and textures. I ordered it to try while inspired by the Lemon Lavender Mint tisane from Monday's review.

The scent of this tea is…dare I say it? Very “clean”. Clean as in Lavender antiseptic and lemon pledge. If you like that sort of thing (which I generally do), you’ll love the fragrance that drifts out of the cup as this tea is steeping. If you don’t, it will remind you that there’s a dirty kitchen or bathroom somewhere that really needs a scrub-down!

The viscosity of the brew is nice – thick, but not unpleasantly so. The overall taste is of lemon, with the lavender adding a nice complimentary flavor in the background. The tea itself really doesn’t factor in much, as the lemon and lavender overwhelm it from the start. It’s naturally very sweet, and leaves just a hint of dryness at the top of the mouth. I hate to keep repeating myself, but the whole experience of this particular tea is just very “clean” and refreshing.

I wouldn’t drink it every day, and beware of over-steeping (I steeped it a minute too long yesterday, and it was very bitter and tart). But for an occasional drink, something new and refreshing, and potentially a lovely iced tea for summer, this one is worth trying. And if you get the urge to go mop the floor or write your grandma a letter while you’re drinking it, all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not for advertising - links in comments will be deleted. Please be polite!