Friday, February 22, 2008

Izu Matcha from Dragonwater

Scent in package: not really discernable
Brewed in: matcha bowl
Steeped: N/A
Cup: Matcha bowl

I ordered this at the same time as the Samurai matcha, thinking I would compare them side by side. I haven’t done that yet. All in all though, I’m quite pleased with this matcha too, and the price is much more reasonable for daily drinking.

I sort of expected this “lower grade” matcha to be bitter and thin. It’s not though – and I used the same amount of powder that I always do (about ¼ to 1/3 teaspoon to 1/3 bowl of water). I was pleasantly surprised at the consistency – not watery at all, and the taste, which is milder than the others (including the Harney & Son’s), but still very pleasant, without any bitterness.
It doesn’t have quite the frothiness when whipped as the Samurai matcha does, but that’s okay, I’m not drinking it for the froth. Overall, I’m very pleased with the taste and texture, and the price is a low $6.00 per ounce, much easier to “swallow”, so to speak.

I’ll still be trying matcha from other vendors, but this will probably become my “staple” as far as daily matcha goes unless I find something comparable in price and taste. Excellent brew, and mild enough that I’d recommend it for new matcha drinkers, as it’s not as “harsh” or bitter as some of the more expensive matcha out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not for advertising - links in comments will be deleted. Please be polite!