Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Rooibos Apple Cinnamon by Dragonwater

Scent in Package: Yummy, like warm apple pie
Brewing method: Simple metal infuser in a clear glass cup
Steeping: 6-7 min. @ 212 degrees
Cup: Clear glass, as above

This sample has been in my cupboard for awhile, and last night around 10ish, I needed something warm. I ripped open the top of the sealed bag, took a whiff, and was immediately reminded of warm apple pie, or a baked apple (a favorite late night snack of mine). My teapots were all waiting for the dishwasher, and since rooibos doesn’t really “unfurl” like a true tea, I popped the metal infuser I normally treat like a strainer into a cup and brewed up 1 1/2 teaspoons.

My first sip was still too hot – and I wasn’t sure about the apple/tobacco combination at that point. So I set it aside to cool for a bit. My next sip was different, with less sweetness than I’ve been used to in a rooibos tisane. It was intriguing, but not really “good”. After that, subsequent sips started showing the cinnamon flavor more, and about half a cup down, I really could taste the subtle apple pie scent that had drawn me in with the dry leaves, and while it was pleasant on my tongue, I couldn’t help but think that a little sugar would really draw out the flavors and truly create the “apple pie in a cup” that I couldn’t get out of my head. Heck, a little milk with the sugar would probably taste like pie ala mode!

Needless to say, I finished off the cup ala carte, as I drink most cups, but next time, I shall have to experiment with sugar & milk. Some teas just beg for it, and this particular one could be the next great dessert tea. I’ll report back later after that experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are not for advertising - links in comments will be deleted. Please be polite!